Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Fault Lines Should Be Worn With Pride" ~Incubus

With phrases like this, and others like “Still and transfixed, the electric sheep are dreaming of your face. Enjoy you from the chemical, comfort of America,” is it no wonder why Incubus front man, Brandon Boyd is one of the best lyricist and most profound musicians out there? I have my top 5 favorite bands, and Incubus is most definitely up there. I hear their music and hear their words, the poetic way was they phrase the most simple of questions/statements, and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Another band that can get this kind of reaction outta me is Muse. Now, Matthew Bellamy is one clever, and amazingly talented musician. He can write the most amazing music and lyrics, and then go out and play the piano and guitar with flawless ease. He makes it look like playing the piano and guitar are as easy as breathing to him…and they very well may be. I’m only slightly VERY in love with him. When I hear “Hysteria,” my heart beats a little bit faster, I get a huge grin on my face…the world just seems right. It’s a good theme song for when I’m a little mad, a little happy, a little antsy…a little crazy. It makes me drive fast, and it makes me calm down. Yeah, a song names “Hysteria” calms me, so what?!?!

So, anyhoozits, I was listening to “Talk Shows On Mute” the other day, and it really got me thinking…as Incubus regularly does. That line, “fault lines should be worn with pride,” got stuck in my head and just kinda twirled around in there and marinated. I kept singing it and I kept saying it, and I’ve come to the conclusion that fault lines should be worn with pride. It’s really sad that we do base so much of what we are on what is considered mainstream, normal or cool. We watch the tv, we read the gossip, we see the models and we critique ourselves on those things. And, when we don’t add up, when we don’t fit in, when we can’t even compare, we go to extremes to make that happen. We become anorexic, we hate our faces, we belittle our own intelligence, we become dependant medications to even us out... and for what? A bunch of heartaches, headaches, and low self esteem, that’s what. We should celebrate our differences. Honestly, it is what makes the world a much more interesting place. It’s sad that we’re so blasted hard on ourselves. I wish that I could say that I’m not included in this, but I’m so guilty, it’s not even funny…well, at times it may be a little funny. Just think, how wonderful would it be to not care about your flaws…or to not have to care about what makes you different? Wouldn’t it be fabulous if we could be like, “Yeah, I’m fat, you’re ugly, she’s gorgeous…let’s be friends.” To be able to say that, actually mean it, and not feel bad about how I look would seriously be ideal. I’ll be friends with anyone out there…well, I’ll try anyways. But, honestly, it’s the hardest thing for me to not compare myself to my friends. It’s hard to not be so hard on myself for those things that I lack. There are no rules on what we should look like…well, there shouldn’t be. Why do these things have so much influence on us? Why, I ask you? :)

Anyways. I’m done ranting. I’m going on and on and I’m not sure it’s making sense. It’s just some things that were on my mind. They are always on my mind. At times, it consumes my mind. Makes it mush. Makes it hard to focus. I think it’s because I’m always wondering, “why not me?” It would be ideal to not have to worry, it really would. But, I’m afraid, the day won’t come when that happens. I think it’s human nature. Now my question is: is this learned, or is it inherent? Hmmmm…that is the question.


And as a side note, and in dedication to my best friend, Alison, I want to say this: You know, one can really have fun with “That’s What She Said“ quotes in the Olympics… “One thing I like about what Raj does is, he takes a moment to before he mounts the apparatus, you know, deep in thought.”

Yep. On that note…

1 comment:

Alison said...

I think everyone wonders "why not me?" :P Sucks, huh? I think you're right, though, we should wear our fault lines with pride. It's a lot easier said than done, though. sigh. You're wonderful, Ems! Don't you forget it. :)

Oh, and I'm turning on the Olympics RIGHT NOW!! :D